Tuesday, February 5, 2008

what to do with daylight

"Mom, I'm thinking something crazy and I need you to either talk me into it or talk me out of it."

Then, Rachel walked in and it was decided. We were driving to Reedley for a mere 24 hours, but, indeed, 24 hours of pure saucesomeness.
The two main reasons we went:
1) Vanguard vs. Fresno Pacific basketball game determining who would go to Nationals in Kansas City.
2)Delta Spirit headlining at the Starline.

Rack and I set off around 5:00 p.m. on Friday afternoon. We laughed at many a thing along the road and due to some heavy rush hour traffic made it home at exactly 10:00 p.m. We were greeted joyfully by Wayne and Sheila Wiebe. The good friend Brianne Jones stopped by and chatted for awhile as well as the beautiful cousin Lauren Hajik. We stayed up too late and slept quite nicely under the warmth of an electric blanket. We awoke around 10 a.m. to the smell of waffles and clean laundry. After enjoying a wonderful-because-its-not-caf-food breakfast, we leisurely got ready for the long day ahead of us. It was also decided that we would make cookies for those VU B-ball players. 

Weird story #1: We went to Save Mart to get the cookies and lunch food and in the check-out line, encountered one of my old schoolmates. I was never really friends with him, but knew him enough to say hello. He completely avoided looking at Rack and I for the first 3 minutes, but he couldn't get away when I finally said hello. We made ridiculous small talk and he was incredibly rude. Then suddenly I was being invited by him to go to coffee. (what?) I tried to avoid it, but he was incredibly persistent. -  Ok now pause. Does he really think that I want to spend part of my 24 hours at home with his sorry tactless ass? - I was cordial and took his number anyway. I was going to continue in my cordial-ness and actually text him, only to tell him that i couldn't go to coffee, but somehow lost that small piece of paper between Save Mart and 1468 W. Flora. Ouch right? I feel slightly bad. But its not my fault....
Finally, Rachel and I finished lunch and headed to Fresno. I must admit it was slightly awkward clapping for Vanguard amidst Fresno Pacific fans. Nevertheless, Vanguard won and is the school going to Kansas. Go Lions! The bestie, Haleigh Kriegbaum, joined Mom, Dad, Rachel and I for a lovely dinner at Di' Ciccos and after dinner we dropped Haleigh off at FPU and headed to Starline.

Once arrived, we waited in the rain (under an awning luckily) to get inside. We made friends with a few fresno state students and finally got in around 9:15. Then we waited around again. For a good 45 minutes. The Same Shape played. They were good. Canon Blue played. They were okay. (They did not ask for their sound to be fixed and it made them sound ridiculous. Like noise instead of music. I recall it actually hurting my ears.) Finally, with a weary eye and an irked disposition, smiles spread across our faces as we stood front and center for Delta Spirit. They were incredible to say the least. We laughed, we cried, we left fresno at 1 am. I drove.... till bakersfield and I just couldn't stay awake. Rack was quite excited to drive considering she doesn't have a car this semester and before I knew it, we were almost to Vanguard. We arrived at 4:35 a.m. exactly and crashed. I slept for 2 hours and then had a Vanguard Singers gig. 

Then the Giants won later that day. :)

No comments: